[Cumbria] Linux in the workplace

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Feb 4 10:43:00 2003

>      Done a presentation yesterday on my backup system for vaxes which
> uses a linux server.  It went really well and all these control systems
> managers were very enthuiastic, yay :o)   Anyway, my prototype uses
> madrake 9, and i was wondering, whith the current situation at mandrake
> if this was the best choice, even though it is my favourite distro, it
> might not be best for bnfl to use it.  What would anyone recomend for a
> server sunning in a corporate environment?  Probably redhat, but
> something is telling me to try debian, i dunno, suggestions welcome,
> linux here we come!!

Now, normally I would say orporately it really ought to be RedHat, but you
need to be careful now about the  EOL'ing - I know your environment prefers
steady-state, so you may not want to get into the upgrade cycle just to stay
current. So, that said Debian should be more than suitable... I'm planning
to start playing with it in the very near future...

Any chance of a more complete description of your system?

Cheers
--
Schwuk