[Cumbria] RE: Cumbria digest, Vol 1 #77 - 6 msgs

Roger Cope cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Feb 6 21:55:02 2003

Adam presented:

Hi
      Done a presentation yesterday on my backup system for vaxes which =
uses
a linux server.  It went really well and all these control systems
managers were very enthuiastic, yay :o)   Anyway, my prototype uses =
madrake
9, and i was wondering, whith the current situation at mandrake if this =
was
the best choice, even though it is my favourite distro, it might not be =
best
for bnfl to use it.  What would anyone recomend for a server sunning in =
corporate environment?  Probably redhat, but something is telling me to =
try
debian, i dunno, suggestions welcome, linux here we come!!

Adam

With my completely independent hat on (not), I would have to say RedHat. =
It
is increasingly clear that with the exception of IBM sponsored ventures,
RedHat is where the clever money is going and BNFL always prefers to =
follow
anyone clever.

Secondly, Mandrake is a RedHat based distribution and I certainly see no
point in jumping to Debian (of all things)...

Roger