Re[2]: [Cumbria] Linux in the workplace

Michael Saunders cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Feb 7 23:39:01 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Ian Linwood wrote:

> > anyone who has looked at the release dates of many Linux
> > components will realise that most are extremely stable and some
> > are so stable they are abandonware.
>
> Unfortunately, not so...look at kernel 2.4.10...Aargh! Mega broken.
> :-( All vendors (MS, SUN, RH, et al.) are guilty of this.

Red Hat never shipped a 2.4.10 kernel with any release; it's not
correct to attack that vendor on this point. RH's aggressive kernel
testing lab stuck with the pre-.10 VM (Rik van Riel's) until the AA VM
became sufficiently stable. Linus kernels aren't meant to be deployed
en masse -- users should stick with the vendor-supplied and heavily
patched kernel packages.

> As I continually rant...distro's are NOT relevant.

Not relevant to what?

Mike

--
Michael Saunders