Re[3]: [Cumbria] Linux in the workplace

Ian Linwood cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Feb 8 11:03:01 2003

Hello Michael,

> Red Hat never shipped a 2.4.10 kernel with any release; it's not
> correct to attack that vendor on this point.

You misunderstand, I wasn't attacking RH. I wasn't being vendor
specific. Roger Cope commented on "Linux components " being very
reliable and "abandonware", I was offering a diferent point of view.
:-)

> RH's aggressive kernel
> testing lab stuck with the pre-.10 VM (Rik van Riel's) until the AA VM
> became sufficiently stable. Linus kernels aren't meant to be deployed
> en masse -- users should stick with the vendor-supplied and heavily
> patched kernel packages.

Yes RH did see it as a cock up and stayed well clear. Well done RH.
I disagree with the latter statement though. I use Slackware quite
heavily, it it distrubuted with Std. Linus kernel sources. Upgrading
kernels is therefore very easy.

Most other vendors do heavily patch the kernel sources to suit their
own distribution. This is fine, and I agree that people using such
distros look to their vendor for updates.

--
Best regards,
 Ian                            mailto:ian@darksideofthemoon.org.uk