[Cumbria] Christmas: a time of upheaval...

Roger Cope cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jan 4 00:33:01 2003

>>My darling wife has presented me with the gift of wireless networking

My darling _partner_ (being a cardboard cutout...) cast her eyes =
heavenwards
when wireless networking arrived chez Cope and disappeared to Egypt, =
where
she seems to have become buried by a collapsed pyramid.

Happily, this leaves me free to irradiate my brain in a wireless cloud =
and
the release of 802.11g kit from Dlink may well cause me to shell out an
upgrade on my existing 802.11b (11mb/) stuff.

RedHat (and Windows XP, to be fair) finds and runs over 802.11b without =
much
effort. Despite my being only 10 feet (and a couple of brick walls) from =
the
access point, I needed to ditch Dlink and buy a LinkSys PCI card for my =
main
machines to work reliably but the built in wireless of a Toshiba and an =
HP
tablet portable work fine with the Dlink access point.

Roger