[Cumbria] CUMBRIA LUG -- Red Hat cp SuSE

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 5 09:50:01 2003

Chris and Dave,

I guess we all paint what we know in the best of light.  It does seem a=20
shame that when Red Hat are claiming to be the 'bee's knees' of Linux=20
distros that you have to go on a major exploration trip to find things.

With regard to 'vi', this does seem a bit OTT for modifying a line or=20
two in a small script.

I don't accept that new major distros should be allowed to have=20
(serious?) bugs. Of course this will happen, but SuSE v8.0 is fairly=20
major and seems to be pretty good -- I haven't managed to rubbish=20
anything on it yet! Any major distro today must be pretty good on=20
release or it's going to get hammered.

Why should Red Hat 'b*****' about with KDE and Gnome when the rest of=20
the Linux fraternity concentrates on getting the distro right? Probably=20
for selfish (commercial) reasons.  I believe that if this attitude=20
proliferates we'll end up with a lot of different versions of Linux=20
(etc) as happened to Unix.

Can't aggree with you about YAST (currently YAST2). It is somewhat=20
idiosyncratic, but it works and works very well once you get used to it.=20
 It's designed to be usable from either a GUI or text (ncurses) interface.

Not being the worlds expert  programmer, I still need to look up 'C'=20
language syntax and Kdevelop is worth it's space just for that.

The only problems with my 19 inch monitor are the amount of desk space=20
it takes up and it's weight. Still by pointing it into a corner, it's OK.

Regards

Ken Hough