[Cumbria] CUMBRIA LUG -- Red Hat cp SuSE

Chris Plant cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 5 11:06:00 2003

On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 18:01, Ken Hough wrote:
> Chris and Dave,
>
> I guess we all paint what we know in the best of light.  It does seem a
> shame that when Red Hat are claiming to be the 'bee's knees' of Linux
> distros that you have to go on a major exploration trip to find things.

Nobody has said that RedHat is the best distro, but they do have a very
nice support system for business that only SuSe come close to matching.

> With regard to 'vi', this does seem a bit OTT for modifying a line or
> two in a small script.
Well, vi isn't, vim is :)

> I don't accept that new major distros should be allowed to have
> (serious?) bugs. Of course this will happen, but SuSE v8.0 is fairly
> major and seems to be pretty good -- I haven't managed to rubbish
> anything on it yet! Any major distro today must be pretty good on
> release or it's going to get hammered.

RedHat 8 doesn't have any major bugs, or minor ones as far as I'm aware,
I'm just making the point that RedHat switch major parts of their
underlying system on their .0 releases, and as such, need alot of work
before their release.  And RedHat can't be that buggy, because it
consistant gets good reviews.
> Why should Red Hat 'b*****' about with KDE and Gnome when the rest of
> the Linux fraternity concentrates on getting the distro right? Probably
> for selfish (commercial) reasons.  I believe that if this attitude
> proliferates we'll end up with a lot of different versions of Linux
> (etc) as happened to Unix.

Well, I have no problem with RedHat playing with KDE and GNOME, i don't
know what your point is here.  I see their Bluecurve as a fairly neat UI
and a way of making their distro different from the rest (hence the
TM).  Of courses it commericial, but linux isn't going to stay in
people's sheds forever.
> Can't aggree with you about YAST (currently YAST2). It is somewhat
> idiosyncratic, but it works and works very well once you get used to it.
>  It's designed to be usable from either a GUI or text (ncurses) interface.

Shrug, can I use it in vim ?  I never paid much attention to yast, since
I expect the installer to do most of the groundwork for me, so I can
just tidy up the config through the local files.
> Not being the worlds expert  programmer, I still need to look up 'C'
> language syntax and Kdevelop is worth it's space just for that.
I have a book for that :)

> The only problems with my 19 inch monitor are the amount of desk space
> it takes up and it's weight. Still by pointing it into a corner, it's OK.
Yeah, mine is very heavy.

Chris