[Cumbria] CUMBRIA LUG -- Red Hat cp SuSE

Chris Plant cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 5 19:45:01 2003

On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 18:01, Ken Hough wrote:

I've just had another flashback to my encounters with YAST and SuSe in
general.

> Can't aggree with you about YAST (currently YAST2). It is somewhat
> idiosyncratic, but it works and works very well once you get used to it.
>  It's designed to be usable from either a GUI or text (ncurses) interface.

Well, YAST is no-where near a decent setup program, I remove an entry
from /etc/rc3.d (The Services launched in runlevel 3, for those of you
who can't spell ls), specifically its "Personal Firewall", and then it
recreates the link on the next reboots.  That is a fucked up config.
Also, it seems to encourage people to the GUI too much.  This is one of
the reasons I'm changing the web server at Dowdales to match the other
machines in its running of Debian Woody 3.0, which, although not on par
with RedHat for a desktop machine, is slightly more suited to servers.
The web server still has KDE3 on it, and refuses to remove it nicely at
the rpm level.  Until recently it was in the graphical runlevel,
launching KDM and leaving XDM ports open.

Chris

PS. Please cut out the previous 3/4 posts from your replies!