[Cumbria] re the RH SuSe "discussion"

Michael Saunders cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 5 23:11:01 2003

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, David Latimer wrote:

> As someone yet to try Linux seriously, I don't have any prejudice for
> either.  Since both distros appear to be successful, can I suggest that
> far from engaging in intemperate exchanges about which is superior, you
> focus back to the question Ken asked some weeks ago, namely how to sell
> Linux to others.

Debating about the relative superiority of distros is worthwhile though,
because we DO have that choice. In Winworld one can only buy their OS from
one single vendor -- this is a much nicer situation, and anyone can even
make their own distro now.

And as someone who reviews Linux distros, I'm bound to be vocal :)

> As I told Dave M at the last meeting, I want an operating system that I
> can understand for my desktop machine that is an acceptable replacement
> for MS.

But that depends on your definition of "acceptable". I would suggest Mac
OS X, as that's a superb (albeit very heavy) OS, but your definition might
mean freedom -- freedom from EULAs, forced upgrades and the like.
Currently only Linux, BSD, Syllable etc. will offer you that.

> I want a normal life without MS not a geek experience with other
> anoraks.

Our lives are abnormal then? The horrendous stigma associated with active
interest in computers is growing tiresome thesedays -- I'm a Linux geek, I
enjoy computers and discussing them, but I also spend time with friends,
go on dates with girls, have a job etc. Hardly abnormal!

> It seems to me though that unless the Linux distro bickering stops, it
> won't just be Spectrums and ZX81's you will be nostalgic for in a few
> years time.

Some Linux users chatting on a LUG mailing list is hardly going to lead to
the downfall of Linux. IBM, RH and the likes stopping support may do that,
but vocal users are insignificant. Get on USENET and search for old Win31
vs Win95 vs WinNT flame wars -- did that lead to MS' collapse?

Mike

--
Michael Saunders
www.aster.fsnet.co.uk