[Cumbria] CUMBRIA LUG -- Red Hat cp SuSE

Roger Cope cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 00:26:02 2003

Schwuk said:

On the contrary, it is always worth being familiar with vi as you are=20
pretty much assured of it being installed on every box you will come=20
across. And after the mild learning curve (for 'mild' read  'forget what =

you know about every other editor') editing a line in a script is just=20
as straight forward as every other editor. The current LUG webpage was=20
created completely in vim, and is updated remotely with the same. Far=20
easier than "Edit - Save - FTP - Test - Repeat..."

--

I have to say that I wish vi were dead and buried. My first programs =
were

Vi is for emergencies.. EMACS is for crazy people. If I want to edit in =
terminal session I expect something that can be driven using WordStar =
key
clusters out of the box. If I want to edit for pleasure I use a GUI tool =
all
the time. Kate is good in KDE, Notepad is good in Windows.

Roger