[Cumbria] re the RH SuSe 'discussion'

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 09:44:00 2003

> On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, David Latimer wrote:
> But that depends on your definition of "acceptable". I would suggest
> Mac OS X, as that's a superb (albeit very heavy) OS, but your
> definition might mean freedom -- freedom from EULAs, forced upgrades
> and the like.   Currently only Linux, BSD, Syllable etc. will offer you
> that.

I would recommend OS X to anyone, in fact I did recommend it to Dave Latimer
at the meeting, but the main problem with it is the (not insignificant)
(re)investment for hardware. I know that Dave has spent quite a bit on his
computer, and, quite sensibly, does not want to waste that.

I also recommended trying Xandros based on the review in one of the Linux
magazines, but they are another 'buy before you try' distro, that doesn't
sit right with me.
--
Schwuk