[Cumbria] re the RH SuSe 'discussion'

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 09:57:00 2003

> Well why do you want a replacement for a windows desktop.

Why wouldn't you? Why shouldn't you?

> Does it do what you need it to do? If it does stick with it!

It doesn't, that was why he was looking for an alternative...

> The 'My OS is better than your OS' thing is frankly stupid.

Stupid? Yes. Entertaining? Yes, unless is degenerates into a flamewar.
Useful? Depends (see 'Entertaining?'). But to the
(newbie|cluebie|luser|average person) they are simply pointless namecalling.

In the context of promoting Linux, the flamewars are pointless, and scare
people off.

At the end of the day, Ken likes SuSE, I like Red Hat (as well as Mandrake,
Gentoo, Knoppix, Debian, OpenBSD and others. Hell, I've even tried BeOS and
QNX). I intend to try the SuSE CDs that Ken gave me, simply so I can develop
my own opinion about it, but I don't believe it will become my 'distro of
choice'. No bad thing. I certainly recommend Red Hat to people, but I don't
expect them to use it. I don't expect Ken to convert simply because he has a
set of CDs.
--
Schwuk