[Cumbria] re the RH SuSe "discussion"

Paul Broomfield cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 5 23:58:01 2003

<rant>

Well why do you want a replacement for a windows desktop. Does it do
what you need it to do? If it does stick with it! Personally as I said
before I use the distro that best suites the job. The 'My OS is better
than your OS' thing is frankly stupid. It is like arguing that a hammer
is better than a screwdriver. The other thing is preference. Hey I hate
eggs but I wouldn't try to persuade some one not to eat an omelette
because it was 'lame' or because the eggs came from a particular
company. I don't know what the right distro for a newbie would be, as
there are many different things that you can do with Linux. Myself I use
Linux as a server so a desktop is not important. If you are interested
in Linux for a desktop then get a few versions; install them; get a feel
for them; and then decide which one is the best for you. If you want to
learn Linux from a server point of view or you are interested in
learning CLI stuff then you cant go far wrong installing SecureCRT and
getting a shell to play on. That way you can keep the windows desktop.
Get your Operating systems and software to work for you. Don't start
working as a salesman for your OS!

</rant>