[Cumbria] re the RH SuSe "discussion"

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 13:42:01 2003

David Latimer wrote:

>As someone yet to try Linux seriously, I don't have any prejudice for
>either.  Since both distros appear to be successful, can I suggest that
>far from engaging in intemperate exchanges about which is superior, you
>focus back to the question Ken asked some weeks ago, namely how to sell
>Linux to others.
>This geeky chat is fine if that is what you want but as a novice and an
>unashamed one, much of what has been said is beyond me.

Beyond me too! But it does make me aware of other stuff.

>  As I told Dave
>M at the last meeting, I want an operating system that I can understand
>for my desktop machine that is an acceptable replacement for MS.

I have a very acceptable alternative for my purposes. I no longer use MS
Windows, unless for others. Only exception is when using my old Minolta
35mm SCSI slide scanner. Minolta never released a Linux driver. Should
have gonne for Canon or Nikon.

 Suggestions are:

 A fairly fast PC (500 MHz Pentium II or better / or 500 MHz AMD K6II)
with at least 256 MB RAM / 4 GB or more hard disk / CDROM
 Linux will run on much less, but tends to be sluggish. I have it
running (without GUI) on an 80MHz 486 with 16 MB RAM, on a 500MHz K6II
with 400MB RAM, a 1.4GHz Athlon with 256 MB RAM and a (laptop) 233MHz
Pentium with 64 MB RAM.  It's good on the  K6II, but really goes on the
Athlon!

 Install oparating system and appropriate applications  --  any recent /
reputable Linux distro eg Mandrake v9.0, Red Hat v8.0, SuSE v8.0 or v8.1
 I know I'm a SuSE convert, but as a new user, you might appreciate the
manuals that they provide.

Most distros give you the opportunity to define usage of your PC.  eg
Minimum System, Desktop System, Server, Programme Development.
For most desktop users, the Desktop System choice should be OK.
The desktop system will include office apps like Open Office and
possibly Star Office and Koffice. Star Office (v5.2 -- more recently
v6.0) and Open Office are now pretty fair alternatives to Microsoft
Office and will read and write MS formats, usually very accurately.
(Note: Star Office v6.0 is a commercial package)

As a new user, I suggest that you go for Desktop System and take it from
there. You can always add other packages later.
You should be able to get practically any printer working, it not
directly from the distro, then via 'turboprint'.

Go for it! I doubt that you will regret it.

Comments, anyone?

>  I want
>a normal life without MS not a geek experience with other anoraks.
>Dave's comments were helpful and I intend to learn more.  It seems
>to me though that unless the Linux distro bickering stops, it won't just
>be Spectrums and ZX81's you will be nostalgic for in a few years time.

Just a bit of fun. It is amazing how far things have come over only a
few years. according to one of the mags, the first 8 bit microprocessor
(8008 circa 1972) contained about 2500 transistors, whereas the latest
32 bit Pentium 4 contains over 40,000,000 transistors and is clocked at
around 3 THOUSAND times faster.

Ken Hough