[Cumbria] A manifesto

Michael Saunders cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 22:00:01 2003

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Roger Cope wrote:

> I wasn't keen on Frontier, to be honest, and also have mixed feelings
> about X-Beyond the Frontier (an unrelated but cheekily named game that
> is probably the best attempt to date to recapture that Elite feel).

Ah righty. Not played the latter at all -- good to see softcos trying to
absorb and expand on that kinda genre though. Frontier wasn't so much
action packed as Elite from my limited knowledge, but exploring was superb
fun. I remember poking through the binary in a hex editor to find all the
hidden missions which never made it into the final release!

> I have to say though that with the unofficial Strauss music patch added
> the space station dock in X-BTF is extremely satisfying...

Yip, The Blue Danube waltz, popularised in 2001 (top movie IMHO). Another
fond memory I have is loading the whole Amiga binary into Octamed (about
700k) and plucking out all the samples for use in my own choons!

Fired up the CD32 the other day and sampled and MP3ed all the music, if
anyone should want it...

--
Michael Saunders
www.aster.fsnet.co.uk