[Cumbria] re the RH SuSe "discussion"

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jan 7 11:10:01 2003

Mike,

Yes, you can run X on a 486. In the past I've done it, but it's not
really workable, certainly not at 33MHz and 8 MB RAM. With this the hard
disk will be working very hard. Recent Distos (all as far as I know)
REQUIRE a Pentium or better and usually 64 MB of RAM. If you wish to run
on an older processor, the easiest solution will be to dig out one of
the older distros. My 486 box is running SUSE v6.4. I also have v7.2. If
anyone would like a copy of either of these, let me know.

Even with my Pentium 266 / 64MB RAM, the likes of KDE3 is not workable.
It will run -- if you have helf a day to wait. It's workable with icewm
though.
Haven't got around to trying to run applications via X over my network
yet as everything I need is on the Athlon, so no driving need.

The SuSE manuals are, IMHO, useful intros to setting up Linux, but then
I would say that. BTW there aren't many German words in latest manuals
-- and it's ENGLISH English, not American!

Seriously, for anybody just getting into Linux, a good book is the way
to go. Linux is different from MS systems and I found the best way was
to dip into the book as and when needed. True, a lot (an awfull lot!) of
info is 'on line' , but that's only useful after you learn where to find
it. After the simplicity (?) of say MS Windows, the Linux file system
can be daunting. Who would guess that there is such a wealth of useful
documents under /usr/share/doc/howto/en/html ?

Sparc/Alpha?  Speed freak!  At the moment, a 1.4G Athlon is OK for me. I
can watch TV, while attending to my mail (which seems to be growing
fast). I can even burn CDs while doing other jobs -- something I
wouldn't risk doing under MS WIndows 98. I've never had a duff CD under
Linux, unless it was due to me getting it wrong.

Ken Hough