[Cumbria] re the RH SuSe 'discussion'

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jan 7 11:27:53 2003

Ken Hough said:
> Seriously, for anybody just getting into Linux, a good book is the way
> to go. Linux is different from MS systems and I found the best way was
> to dip into the book as and when needed. True, a lot (an awfull lot!)
> of  info is 'on line' , but that's only useful after you learn where to
> find  it. After the simplicity (?) of say MS Windows, the Linux file
> system  can be daunting. Who would guess that there is such a wealth of
> useful  documents under /usr/share/doc/howto/en/html ?

I thoroughly recommend the O'Reilly ( http://www.oreilly.com/ ) series of
books. I used to swear by Linux In A Nutshell (
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxnut3/) although it doesn't really tell
you anything that man doesn't, it's a bit easier to look at and flick
through... I also recommend their books online program Safari (
http://safari.oreilly.com/ ) and the O'Reilly Network (
http://www.oreillynet.com/ ). The network is geared towards developers, but
I picked up a lot of useful information from there regardless. The Linux
Zone of IBM Developerworks ( http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/ )
is worth a look as well, and it's not just for developers either...

Oops, almost forgot: Red Hat is better than SuSE :P

Phew! Almost had a contructive comment there without any flames... ;)

Cheers,
--
Schwuk