[Cumbria] My Word!!!

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 9 17:19:03 2003

Ken Hough said:
> I'm getting quite frustrated with this group. It seems clear now that
> the majority of contributors are not interested in promoting the use of
>  Linux, outside of the sys. admins domain. I do believe that this is a
> short sighted approach.

Quite the opposite I think.

> In all the messages over the last few weeks, I can't remember seeing
> many messages concerning actual usage/setting up/ problems, etc. It's
> mostly been, IMHO, hot air.

Maybe because of the current members, they all have working systems and have
not required any help. Until the group grows, this will probably remain the
case.

This mailing list was setup as a forum for discussion. It is being used for
it's intended purpose. What is the problem?

> If you sys. admin. types are going to bang on about matters relating to
>  'big' systems (or politics) , then there's little point in the likes
> of  me or total newbies getting involved. I do like to (try to) learn
> about  the bigger scene, but don't presently have sufficient knowledge
> to  understand much of this. I have to learn to walk before attempting
> to  run. There's much for me to learn about Linux as an operating
> environment. I doubt that I'll ever be getting involved in 'big'
> systems.

To my knowledge, there has been nothing directly applicable nor exclusive to
big systems. Apart from Paul and Trevor, none of us are running 'big
systems'. We are simply exploring the capabilities of linux. Yes, we may be
using it in different ways from 'normal' users, but we are still using it,
so that makes us users.

> Is this going to be a Sys. Admins. soap box --- or a proper USER GROUP?

As I said, I feel we are all users. There has been no real Sys. Admin chat -
only geek-orientated chat (always a danger with linux users).

> If the former, then I too will be leaving the group. Perhaps that's the
>  intention.

That is your perogative, but I feel you are over-reacting.
--
Schwuk