[Cumbria] My Word!!!

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 10 10:02:07 2003

Schwuk wrote:

>Ken Hough said:
>

>>I'm getting quite frustrated with this group. It seems clear now that
>>the majority of contributors are not interested in promoting the use of
>> Linux, outside of the sys. admins domain. I do believe that this is a
>>short sighted approach.
>>

>Quite the opposite I think.

I think not. I repeat -- short sighted

Ken

>Maybe because of the current members, they all have working systems and have
>not required any help.

Not so. Last meet we spent time trying to sort out SAMBA for one member.

Ken

    <Snipped>

>To my knowledge, there has been nothing directly applicable nor exclusive to
>big systems. Apart from Paul and Trevor, none of us are running 'big
>systems'. We are simply exploring the capabilities of linux. Yes, we may be
>using it in different ways from 'normal' users, but we are still using it,
>so that makes us users.

Exactly. Not 'normal' users.

Ken

>>Is this going to be a Sys. Admins. soap box --- or a proper USER GROUP?
>>

>As I said, I feel we are all users. There has been no real Sys. Admin chat -
>only geek-orientated chat (always a danger with linux users).

Only a danger with geek /techy guys (which includes me at a low level).
Some have an interest in just using Linux. We've just lost one!

Ken