[Cumbria] My Word!!!

Michael Saunders cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jan 11 13:46:01 2003

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003, Schwuk wrote:

> Actually, it should be enough for a brief overview - remote apps 'just
> work' if you are using ssh. Remote sessions (i.e. full desktops are a
> little trickier).

Yeah, ssh -X is a sinch (and vanilla telnet sets $DISPLAY correctly). We
can look at editing .xinitrc to bring up a WM-less xterm for running a
whole desktop remotely, and maybe rsh and the like (not too familiar with
that though).

> I think Mike was intending a live demo anyway - I am bring two laptops
> (1 dual boot, 1 xp w/cygwin) for that purpose. If you would like to be
> shown how to get it running on your boxes, then by all means bring
> them...

That would be ideal for a live demo -- we can show the basics, then maybe
look at Cygwin, and I'll put Apache and WeirdX on my box so we can
possible demonstrate X through an IE window (no extra software needed).
I'll write up a small sheet explaining how to get it running too, which
people can take away.

Any other ideas?

Mike

--