[Cumbria] CUMBRIA LUG

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 12 11:37:01 2003

Schwuk wrote:

> Ken Hough wrote:
>
>> Am doing a Red Hat re-install NOW. Have you tried SuSE v8 yet?
>

> I thought I'd posted about it?
>
> I can't find my original post, and can't remember my comments, but...
>
> Anyway, tried it. I liked the installer, although failed to see a need
> for the reboot.

Red Hat also insisted on a beboot.

Ken

> It couldn't detect my wireless card - essential for me.

It didn't find my PCMCIA ethrnet card on an old Toshiba laptop either,
but on the desktop PCs, no problems at all --- including SCSI, ethernet,
 TV / radio and sound cards..

Ken

> I don't like KDE - I tried, but it just makes fonder of Gnome. I'm
> sure other people are the exact opposite... :)

We agree to differ. That's what makes the world interesting.

Ken

> The main problem was, I tried on my laptop (not the best test bed
> really), but I rely on the WifI in that box at home, so I had to
> switch back to RH 8.0. I do want give SuSE another try, but a few too
> many things going on at the moment. I might get 8.1 and try that...
> Also it appears that Gentoo have answered most of my concerns with
> their 1.4_rc2 release, so that is next on my list to try - my friends
> ADSL line is being abused as I type :)

ADSL!  -- Lucky ******!

Ken