[Cumbria] CUMBRIA LUG

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 12 16:17:02 2003

Ken Hough wrote:
> Red Hat also insisted on a beboot.

Yes, at the end. Not in the middle of installing the packages! I now
remember my other comment being about the amount of (proprietry)
software included - but then I knew they must be doing something for 7
cd's worth.

Which brings me onto another point - where have all the 1 cd distro's
gone? Why do we need fifteen different text editors?

Have people heard about the next Mandrake? Apparently subscribers can
vote on what they want to be included on the 1 cd distro...

> It didn't find my PCMCIA ethrnet card on an old Toshiba laptop either,
> but on the desktop PCs, no problems at all --- including SCSI, ethernet,
> TV / radio and sound cards..

It also didn't recognise my laptop graphics chip OOTB, but then I don't
think RH does either...

I also wasn't overly keen on the disk partitioner.

> We agree to differ. That's what makes the world interesting.

Shame more people don't think like that. But then again everyone knows
Red Hat is better... :P

> ADSL!  -- Lucky ******!

Yes, isn't he. Apparently Satellite shared by WiFi may be coming to my
area soon - I probably get kicked off for hogging bandwidth!

As for my friends ADSL - how's this for the power of linux - The friends
box is XP, running a remote session to rdesktop which is exporting it's
display via X to my WiFi'd linux laptop :) Or even better, XP displaying
  via rdesktop displaying via exported X displaying on XFree86 running
on Cygwin runnning on Windows XP. How's that for complicated?
--
Schwuk