[Cumbria] CUMBRIA LUG

Ken hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 12 19:22:06 2003

Schwuk wrote:

> Ken Hough wrote:
> > Red Hat also insisted on a beboot.
>
> Yes, at the end. Not in the middle of installing the packages! I now
> remember my other comment being about the amount of (proprietry)
> software included - but then I knew they must be doing something for 7
> cd's worth.

Actually 6 CDs plus 1 of source code

Ken

> Which brings me onto another point - where have all the 1 cd distro's
> gone? Why do we need fifteen different text editors?

I guess the same reason we need KDE and Gnome --- choice!

That's partly why we no longer get so many 1 CD distros. We expect to get a
lot of software and distros are expected to be able to set up for all usages
from desktop to workstations and servers.

Ken

> > It didn't find my PCMCIA ethrnet card on an old Toshiba laptop either,
> > but on the desktop PCs, no problems at all --- including SCSI, ethernet,
> > TV / radio and sound cards..
>
> It also didn't recognise my laptop graphics chip OOTB, but then I don't
> think RH does either...

Both SuSE and Mandrake correctly itentified the graphics chip on my old
Toshiba laptop.

Ken

> I also wasn't overly keen on the disk partitioner.

I invariably use 'Partition Magic' to partition my hard drives. DOS is still
useful.

Ken

> > We agree to differ. That's what makes the world interesting.
>
> Shame more people don't think like that. But then again everyone knows
> Red Hat is better... :P

Sneaky! Foul shot!

Ken