[Cumbria] Ideas for Presentations

Schwuk cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 12 16:46:01 2003

Paul Broomfield wrote:
> Don't get me wrong, but I think that the group as a whole is a little
> far off being able to do anything with socket programming.

I would be interested in the sockets stuff, but I am a developer, and
not representative of the group as a whole...

> The problem with isolating ourselves on
> our own net or a smaller network is that you won't find it so easy to
> get help from people out side of the group.

Very true, but as the channel only has three regular visitors, it's not
really an issue at the moment. If we can get everyone onto IRC, and it
used on a regular basis the we should be on a more public network (no
offense Chris).

> I think that what the 'guru's ( I hate that name ) want from this is
> clearly different from the rest, however that doesn't mean that we don't
> want to be involved.

To be honest, the only 'gurus' that have stated they want anything
different are yourself and Chris.

> I propose that cumbria.lug.org.uk stays as the main site and point of
> contact for the group as a whole. I am going to take charge of
> clug.org.uk so that the more advanced people have a point of presence,
> and so that we have some where that we can release open source stuff and
> so that there is a forum for our needs.

So you say you still wish to contribute to the group, but at the same
time want to fragment it?

cumbria.lug.org.uk was always going to be the main site - you registered
clug.org.uk without input from the rest of the group, so there was never
any discussion about what it was to be used for outside of *you* wanting
a bulletin board as you didn't like the format of the mailing list. I
only ever intended to mirror the main site on clug.org.uk, so feel free
to use as you wish, but please ensure there is a statement (including a
link) on there about the *official* site of the lug.

> Lets take my suggestion 1 step further. Lectures given by ham radio,
> backed up by irc with information on line, no one has to leave there
> homes!

Are there enough HAM users in the group to do this with out excluding
the majority? Surely the 'net is a better medium as we _all_ have access
to this...

> I think if we did something like this then I feel that we would end up
> getting publicity from all over the country, both in the ham community
> and the Linux / it community.

I think we would get coverage (obviously not from the ham community)
simply by implementing an 'online' group...

> Some one want to tell me how viable that is?

Personally, I don't think it is, but I am only one voice.

> The thing that I am trying to get across is if the group has the time to
> be averaging 60+ emails a day to the list then surely we have the time
> to work together on something that is worth while.

True.

> Most of The newbie's
> know amateur radio, so lets get into that and then they will be the
> gurus.

I personally have no interest in HAM at this time. If I was, I would be
involved in a HAM UG...
--
Schwuk