[Cumbria] Ideas for Presentations

Chris Plant cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 12 19:17:00 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 16:48, Schwuk wrote:
> Paul Broomfield wrote:

> I would be interested in the sockets stuff, but I am a developer, and
> not representative of the group as a whole...
I thought the point was that the presentations weren't meant to apply to
everyone?

> Very true, but as the channel only has three regular visitors, it's not
> really an issue at the moment. If we can get everyone onto IRC, and it
> used on a regular basis the we should be on a more public network (no
> offense Chris).
Why is this, surely monkeyircd being quieter is an advantage, and it
hardly fits into the LUG's vision of supporting open source software if
you decide to move to an established IRC network.

> To be honest, the only 'gurus' that have stated they want anything
> different are yourself and Chris.
I simply want another point of contact, to avoid all this crap on
cumbria@mailman.lug.org.uk.

> > I propose that cumbria.lug.org.uk stays as the main site and point of
> > contact for the group as a whole. I am going to take charge of
> > clug.org.uk so that the more advanced people have a point of presence,
> > and so that we have some where that we can release open source stuff and
> > so that there is a forum for our needs.
I agree with this.

> So you say you still wish to contribute to the group, but at the same
> time want to fragment it?
He isn't, its just another point of contact.

> cumbria.lug.org.uk was always going to be the main site - you registered
> clug.org.uk without input from the rest of the group, so there was never
> any discussion about what it was to be used for outside of *you* wanting
> a bulletin board as you didn't like the format of the mailing list. I
> only ever intended to mirror the main site on clug.org.uk, so feel free
> to use as you wish, but please ensure there is a statement (including a
> link) on there about the *official* site of the lug.
Ohh, a power struggle!

> Are there enough HAM users in the group to do this with out excluding
> the majority? Surely the 'net is a better medium as we _all_ have access
> to this...
No Comment: except ALL HAM RADIO USERS ARE ANORAKS! (read back before
flaming me)

> > The thing that I am trying to get across is if the group has the time to
> > be averaging 60+ emails a day to the list then surely we have the time
> > to work together on something that is worth while.
The LUG mailing is has 58 messages of crap.  eg "How do I get nautilus
to work" - You don't need to reinstall, for a start.

--
Chris Plant <chris@monkeyircd.org>