[Cumbria] Ideas for Presentations

Chris Plant cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 12 21:09:01 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 21:02, Schwuk wrote:
> Schwuk wrote:
> > Very true, but as the channel only has three regular visitors, it's not
> > really an issue at the moment. If we can get everyone onto IRC, and it
> > used on a regular basis the we should be on a more public network (no
> > offense Chris).
>
> I should read my own responses before posting properly...
>
> The IRC channel is for the LUG to use (as donated by Chris). Why does it
> matter if people can find it, as everyone who will want to (i.e. the
> LUG) will know where it.
Already one LUG member has found it based on the posts to the Mailing
list, it is perfectly acceptable for our needs.

> Yes, using a more public network *may* bring more people to it, but
> given the amount of stuff on the mailing list, do we really want a more
> 'public' forum?
It is not a closed network, I can easily setup an alias to
irc.clug.org.uk if need be.

> My comment regarding moving to a more public network if traffic was
> sufficient were simply based on scalability. Chris: do you belive
> monkeyircd and it's network are capable of handling increased load?

MonkeyIRCD has capacity enough for the amount of users and traffic our
LUG is likely to generate.

> If Chris believe's that monkeyircd is stable enough for us to use on a
> regular basis, why do we need to go anywhere else?

MonkeyIRCD will be undergoing some major re-routes in March, but this is
the only planned maintenance.
.
--
Chris Plant <chris@monkeyircd.org>