[Cumbria] RE: Beginners Question

Roger Cope cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jan 14 18:07:00 2003

Matt,

I know you've already had answers on this... It is one of those areas =
where
I have to say I am on your side completely. Understanding file =
privileges in
DOS is tricky when you don't use them often and DOS a: has no file
protection worth speaking of and b: at least has the decency to use =
letters.

Chmod and it's man page is where you go for the precise answer to your
question. As a mild number dyslexic myself, I very rarely use chmod and =
only
then when the magic number is written down for me. I simply choose the
property pages from within whichever file manager is handy.

Command line junkies may scoff (and I use the command line on most =
operating
systems more than most) but file permissions property pages in unix are =
godsend!

Roger