[Cumbria] The guy has a point...

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 16 10:10:06 2003

Michael Saunders wrote:

>A decent installer is always a good start, but providing the system
>can be upgraded easily, it's not always that important -- some Debian
>and FreeBSD users say that their rather plain installers aren't an
>issue, as once installed, you'll never have to install again.
>
>(BTW, it's just "program" not "programme"!)

I use English spelling. 'Program' is, I believe an American version
which many have adopted.

I repeat, the installer is VITAL --  for newbie / non techy users.

Ken

>Slack has always been like that -- attempts to avoid distractions or
>being hindering to the long-time user. Most graphical installers
>thesedays provide an appropriately flexible path for those who need
>it, but some (i.e. Corel) which try to make as many automatic
>decisions as possible would leave you screaming for Slack's...

Doesn't alter the fact that IMHO compared with other installers (and for
non-techies) the Slackware installer is dreadful. It's the sort of thing
one expected of installers several years ago. I'm OK with non-graphical
installers. My old friend YAST can run in text mode. It can seem a bit
strange at first, but it does give a lot of flexibility,for those who
want it.

My attempt at installing Slackware has screwed up the HD on my laptop.
Am presently trying to update the backup for the Win98 installation
(which still works) via my LAN before trying to sort it out. I'm not happy.

Ken