[Cumbria] The guy has a point...

Michael Saunders cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 16 16:44:01 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Ken Hough wrote:

> I use English spelling. 'Program' is, I believe an American version
> which many have adopted.

Including the OED! Looking up definitions for the noun "programme", we
find: "5 (program) a series of coded software instructions..."

Most UK publishing house style guides (and virtually all British tech
documentation writers) state that "program" should be used, so sad as
Americanisms are, it's the way of things now...

> I repeat, the installer is VITAL -- for newbie / non techy users.

Not really, from my experience of helping newbies install. A new user
will typically have a more experienced Linux geek at hand during the
install -- either in person, or at a LUG, or on the phone or IRC etc.
It IS pretty important, but as something that's only done once, it's
the effort put into the desktop, apps, config tools and
documentation/support that matters far more.

A poor installer can be tolerated and worked through slowly, but the
quality of the desktop, apps and docs one will use over the next 6
months is the most important.

Mike

--
Michael Saunders