[Cumbria] The guy has a point...

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 16 17:31:01 2003

Michael Saunders wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Ken Hough wrote:
>

>>I use English spelling. 'Program' is, I believe an American version
>>which many have adopted.
>>

>Including the OED! Looking up definitions for the noun "programme", we
>find: "5 (program) a series of coded software instructions..."
>
>Most UK publishing house style guides (and virtually all British tech
>documentation writers) state that "program" should be used, so sad as
>Americanisms are, it's the way of things now...

I stand (reluctantly) corrected.  Damned colonials!

Ken

>>I repeat, the installer is VITAL -- for newbie / non techy users.
>>

>Not really, from my experience of helping newbies install. A new user
>will typically have a more experienced Linux geek at hand during the
>install -- either in person, or at a LUG, or on the phone or IRC etc.

I disagree.  If Linux is to take off on the desktop, I believe it will
need to be installable by Mr average -- without the help of a geek.

Ken

>It IS pretty important, but as something that's only done once,.....

Can you garrantee that?  In any case the installer is called upon to add
/ delete software packages as well as the original install.

Ken

>it's the effort put into the desktop, apps, config tools and
>documentation/support that matters far more.

Yes! Once it's all up and running.

Ken

>A poor installer can be tolerated and worked through slowly,....

I won't tolerate the likes of the Slackware installer.

Ken