[Cumbria] Developers Tools

Ken Hough cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jan 21 08:52:01 2003

Mat Brunt wrote:

> Everytime I try to install a file from the ./configure and make
> commands it complains of having no developers tools to do it with.
>
> So I try to be sneaky, go to the packages GUI and choose to install
> the developers tools (this is under RH8 btw).
> Then it complains I'm missing the packages 'cyrus-sasl' and 'krb5-libs'.
>
> Looking at the installation documentation for cyrus-sasl I have to
> untar the file I've just downloaded and run ./configure on it.
> But don't I need the developers tools in the first place to do that?
> I don't know if I'm just being daft but I think I've got myself in a
> catch 22 situation here!
>
> Can anyone throw any suggestions my way - clean and to do with the
> problem at hand please :p
> (Install SuSe or Mandrake is not one I was thinking of either!!!)
>
> From the newbie with no nounce left....

This sort of thing can be a real pain for those of us not yet in the
guru /geek catagory. In the past I've given up trying to install some
packages because even when I've had appropriate 'tools' installed, more
recent versions have been demanded.  This even happens with SuSE! (Ha! Ha!)

As you are using the recent Red Hat v8, the latter shouldn't be a
problem (in most cases). Most 'tool' packages are present on (full sets
of) installation CDs. You might not have them all if you are using
shortened /download versions of your distro -- I don't know on this one.

Ken