[cumbria_lug] *Yawn*

Roger Cope cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jul 24 17:54:01 2003

Trevor said:

Has any of you 'Broadband band' got or tried an Alcatel 330 broadband modem
? It seems popular with the various ISP's... Demon in particular

----------------

I have a business version of the service with a router/modem. I had no
complaints with my original BT router except that I also needed a
firewall/hub in tandem with it.

There are now several combined wireleass access points/4 port switch and
ADSL modem combinations available and I went for a NetGear 'cos of the
company's reputation.

Big mistake! It's a duffer... Hardware is OK but the firmware is hopeless. I
am told that users who don't use it for permanent connection can get along
with it but when you are running real mail and web servers inside your
network it's a disaster when the router locks up for a couple of hours.

So, back to the unit I should have bought in the first place as I'd read the
glowing review on ADSLGuide and only skipped it 'cos I'd never heard of the
company.

The Draytek Vigor 2600we is a superb piece of kit with difficult to
configure but very thorough software and we are very happy together.

Roger