[cumbria_lug] Linux 2003 Conference & Tutorials, Edinburgh, 31 July - 3 Aug

Michael Saunders cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 16 15:35:01 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 trevor@haven.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Does aonyone get Liunx user/developer regularly I've got a few
> issues it's an OKish mag

Yep, it's quite well done but as an LXF writer I never actually buy a
copy of course ;)

> I'd throw rotten fruit at ... anyone from Microsoft

[mike@localhost linux-2.4]$ cat CREDITS | grep -i -a2 microsoft.com

N: Raymond Chen
E: raymondc@microsoft.com
D: Author of Configure script
S: 14509 NE 39th Street #1096

Except him!

> The person who invented regular expresions

I know how you feel (having just written a sed script to alter, of all
things, another sed script), but they're a really compact way of
picking out complex text strings.

> Richard Stallman for 'VI'

That would be ironic. You could also ask him about "open source" too.

(RMS wrote Emacs; Bill Joy wrote Vi, IIRC.) Yeah, being designed for
use over 300 baud connections, Vi was made to be as terse and fast as
possible, hence the initially unapproachable keystroke commands.
Still, it's pretty powerful (esp. Vim), but PICO is best for simple
editing jobs :)

> have I forgotten anyone ?

That chap on the XFree86 board who works for AOL, uses only Windows
and still thinks he should have a say in the project's development.

Mike

--
Michael Saunders
www.aster.fsnet.co.uk