[Cumbria] Chores

Roger Cope cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Mar 2 10:19:00 2003

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C2E0A5.01725150

I caught up on some chores this weekend:

Got spamassassin working against my qmail server. No problems there... I =
am
running it as a system wide service and it just works.

If anyone is unfamiliar with spamassassin, it works by reading your mail =
and
giving each message marks based on how 'spam like' it is. Once a message =
has
been identified as spam it can be tagged or disposed of.

I choose to leave the default tagging on (which has the advantage of
disguising HTML mail: a new trick is apparently to have HTML messages
automatically write back to the spammer so they know you exist even if =
you
don't reply to them).

Spamassassin picks up _a lot_ of false positives if you're on mailing =
lists
and the easiest way to sort that out is to set up whitelists in local =
user
accounts.

Today, Sunday, is a day when I don't get email typically. This morning I =
got
one email and 25 spams and Spamasssassin cleared them all into trash
automagically. I still flick through the headers at present to make sure
everything is spam but once I am happy that will stop.

Over the course of a week I have had 2 or 3 spams that got through but =
am
typically getting 20 a day, so that's not bad. The ones that get through
seem to be fairly ordinary plain text messages, which you'd expect. I =
could
blacklist them and will if they repeat.

I also had another go at CUPS printing on my samba server for windows
clients. Still no joy... My conf files were set up correctly when =
compared
with Dave's. I have now given up and will try again with RH8.1.

Now to start learning php...

Roger
Roj is also available at:=20
http://www.morphaniel.com
roger.cope@bnfl.com

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C2E0A5.01725150
	filename="Roger Cope (roger.cope@morphaniel.com).vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Cope;Roger
FN:Roger Cope (roger.cope@morphaniel.com)
ORG:BNF plc
TITLE:Systems Analyst
TEL;WORK;VOICE:019467 71125
TEL;HOME;VOICE:01946 691471
TEL;CELL;VOICE:07092 208355
TEL;WORK;FAX:019467 84963
ADR;WORK;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;17 Highland =
View=3D0D=3D0ABransty;Whitehaven;Cumbria;United Kingdom;CA28 6HF
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:17 Highland =
View=3D0D=3D0ABransty=3D0D=3D0AWhitehaven, Cumbria United =
Kingdom=3D0D=3D0AC=3D
A28 6HF
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:roger.cope@morphaniel.com
REV:20011115T072156Z