[Cumbria] Chores

Paul Broomfield cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Mar 2 15:07:01 2003

Interesting!
I am currently looking at various anti spam solutions for qmail. I am
looking at tmda. The reason that this is getting my attention more than
spamassassin is that its very simple and very easy to manage from a
plugin to qmailadmin. Well I say that but I haven't fully tested it at
yet as I am in the middle of doing migration testing ( trying to move
from redhat to FreeBSD for the front end nodes ). I have also had a look
at some of the commercial solutions but they all lack the ability to
easily manage the solution for individual domains and users. We host
about 70 domains and about 3000Users. We also have to take into
consideration that for about 20 domains we just do smpt forwarding
rather than hosting the mailboxes. This gives a couple of unusual
issues. Anything that works purely from dot-qmail files is ideal for the
domains where we host the pop boxes but useless for those that we just
forward. However triggering antispam threw qmail-scanner or amavis means
that we don't have any control over what domains and users get filtered.
Implementing something across the board is just not acceptable as some
people would endup complaining if they got false negatives. One solution
that I have been thinking about doing for a while is to get
qmail-scanner to parse the email and then only scan the mail biased on a
database of users / domains. Any one have any thoughts about how hard it
would be to write such a program, or does any one know of something that
will already do what I need it to do?

Regards,

Paul Broomfield