[Cumbria] RH in Give us your data and money shocker!

Paul Broomfield cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Mar 3 15:15:01 2003

Mmm well I have been an avid user of redhat for 6 years or so. While I
see the need for a company to make money, and if I just had one PC $60 a
year would be palatable, but I don't I have about 40 of them. The other
thing that annoys me at the moment is this 12month support thing. When
you have to upgrade that many machines it starts to look like a painting
the forth bridge scenario. Redhat advanced server is overkill to the
highest degree for my needs, and the price tag is astonishing. I have
PURCHASED the cds for every release from 7.0 because I wanted to support
redhat for giving me a product that is worth the money. While I don't
argue that Redhat has to make a profit I personally can't afford to pay
that kind of money or keep up with there upgrades. There are some
projects that act as RHN servers, mebee it would be an idea to club
together and have our own personal RHN server ( that still does not sort
out the upgrade cycle ). Hey ho. Well for my needs I am switching to
BSD!