Re[4]: [Cumbria] Chores

Paul Broomfield cumbria at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Mar 5 19:14:01 2003

Hello Ian,

No worries about the misunderstanding. It happens a lot in this game!
At the moment I am using /var/qmail/control/smtproutes to forward smtp.
The cluster uses NFS ( for /home/vpopmail ) and a series of bash scripts
to manage the front head nodes. I realise that I could get everything to
forward into other servers using smtproutes to do the filtering. The
problems are thus:
	o This would only work on a per domain basis, not per user.
	o If I where to keep the redundancy and load balancing inherent
within my setup it would require another 4 servers at least ( 6 to keep
the same level of redundancy / load balance I have at the moment ).
	o  It would not enable the users to configure there own
settings, and I would have to have a cluster per feature ( I intend to
have at least 6 configurable alternatives ).

The solution that I am looking for would mean that users local or remote
would have the ability to configure there own settings. The path that I
am walking down uses a CDB file. Each user ( not in default mode ) would
have an entry in the CDB that had flags pertaining to there
requirements. QMS would be modified to read this file and then use
scanners accordingly.

I hope that I have not mislead any one there!

In answer to the posts about the benefits of debian over FreeBSD, this
is something that I have weighed up myself again and again. Sorry I
chose FreeBSD, no reason, no comment, I just did!

Kind regards,

Paul Broomfield