[cumbria_lug] Mandrake 9.2

Trevor Pearson trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 4 23:33:31 GMT 2003

Mark Andrews  writes
>I've been running MDK 9.2 since Thursday on my laptop, apart from 3
>hardware issues that are still outstanding (Please help SCHWUK ;-) it is
>an awesome distro. I am obviously a bit of a newbie but things are
>progressing well.
Mark,
I've just built myself a new box, I simply moved my HDD from an aged
233Mx Cyric 686 with a VTech motherboard to a KT400 AMD Athlon XP
with virtually all new hardware, and SuSE 8.2 booted, now I had to
rebuild
XF86Config and a couple of other bits (not surprisingly) but it works
with no
re-install, no 'hunt the driver' windows game...

Why don't you post details of your hardware prob's to this list ?

>Mark
>
>What does everyone reckon? When a Linux newcomer asks what's the best
>to try, what do you suggest? And if that's Red Hat 9, what will you
>recommend when it's unsupported?
>
>Personally, I'm waiting on http://www.arklinux.com/index2.php
>
>Mike

Mike,
I would recommend Suse, RedHat or Mandrake with very little worry,
Even quite old Distros are very good, and Since you get them for
(nearly) free, and there is an excellent local group around, I would
tell the newbie
not to worry to much about support.

I would have to say that help installing and setting up any distro is
necessary for most users unless they are prepared to completely dump
windows since re-partitioning hdd's is a bit techie.

--
Trevor Pearson <trevor at haven.demon.co.uk>
http://www.haven.demon.co.uk