[cumbria_lug] Mandrake 9.2

Schwuk schwuk at schwuk.com
Wed Nov 5 17:15:20 GMT 2003

Michael Saunders wrote:
> What we need is a distro that's:
>
> A) Free to download and distribute
> B) Built with recent (not bleeding-edge) software
> C) Easy to use and carefully supported
> C) Well tested and reliable
>
> And right now, Fedora, Mandrake and SUSE don't fulfil all those
> criteria. Some cover some, but not one of them all (if you follow!).

Actually, I think Fedora is the only one that meets all of those
criteria. Yes, it's not a full release yet, and yes the upgrade cycle is
a bit steep, but:

1) They are ramping up rapidly to a full release
2) Tools like Yum and apt4rpm should remove most of the pain of
upgrading, especially for b/band users
3) They've just proved how 'Well tested' it is by refusing to do the
last test release (due just the other day) until a 'siginificant issue'
has been resolved

I still have high hopes for Fedora...

Cheers,
--