[cumbria_lug] Mandrake 9.2

Michael Saunders mike at aster.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 22:21:03 GMT 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Schwuk wrote:

> I'm hoping Fedora will evolve into something good

And it's out now! Still spreading round the mirrors though; I'll wait
til tomorrow to get it, but in the meantime some lovely in-VMware
screenshots can be found here:

http://mirror.mricon.com/fedora-screenshots/

Rik van Riel gave a good answer to my query on Slashdot, but it still
leaves other stuff unanswered (see my followup at 0):

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=84839&cid=7400611

> Until things change (Fedora has a one release or Mandrake 9.2
> settles down/9.2.1 or 9.3 is released) I'm not sure what to suggest.

Exactly, I think you see what I mean. With 300+ distros out there,
it's a bit worrying that Red Hat 9 is the only solid, free and
friendly distro that can be recommended to newcomers without hassle.

> Knoppix?

Yeah, that does a marvelous job as a live CD, but I've not done a HD
install yet. Any thoughts?

Mike

--
Michael Saunders