[cumbria_lug] Mandrake 9.2

Schwuk schwuk at schwuk.com
Wed Nov 5 17:04:15 GMT 2003

Michael Saunders said:
> What does everyone reckon? When a Linux newcomer asks what's the best
> to try, what do you suggest? And if that's Red Hat 9, what will you
> recommend when it's unsupported?

Well, up until recently my stance "Mandrake (9.1) for newbies who want
it simple, Red Hat 9 for everyone else". Now I'm not so sure... I've
installed 9.2, but not actually booted into it yet! The problems and
updates worry me though...

I'm hoping Fedora will evolve into something good - I tried the last
test release, but it wouldn't work with my network card (a 3COM 905TX -
how standard can you get?!?). I'm keeping an eye on the development
though, and will try the next release.

Until things change (Fedora has a one release or Mandrake 9.2 settles
down/9.2.1 or 9.3 is released) I'm not sure what to suggest. Knoppix?

Cheers,
--
Schwuk