[cumbria_lug] Linux advocacy...

Michael Saunders mike at aster.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 22:26:20 GMT 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Schwuk wrote:

> Open question: How do we let them know about it? Particularly, how
> do we let people in our region know about it?

I think it's best to work from the top down, rather than pulling the
OS out from a newcomer's feet. Introduce them to Firebird and
OpenOffice.org; the browser and office suite are the two most
important desktop tools right now, and once familiar with those
they'll be more confident in moving to another OS (mainly because they
can continue using identical apps).

My brother doesn't know a great deal about OSes and Free Software
etc., but he's a very happy Firebird user and that's the way to begin.

What does everyone else reckon?

Mike

--
Michael Saunders