[cumbria_lug] Linux Advocacy and stuff

trevor at haven.demon.co.uk trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 6 13:19:01 GMT 2003

All,

I am glad we seem to have a bit of disscussion going on, Now To answer a couple o' points,

Not all users have 'nearly-new' hardware I frequently see P166/233/500 machines that are still in use (or are after there fixed) many, many people have second hand machines too, not to mention those (myself included) with multiple boxes..

Many slightly older distros 'work' after a fashion on many newer boxes, perhaps with the addition of a couple of patches and updates.

I got a full 'SUSE 8.2' DVD distro on the cover of one Mag this month could have been 'Linux magazine' with Mandrake on another cover disk I might catalogue
the number of distros recieved this year.

Yes, One possible way to promote Linux is to spread 'Windows' builds of free software, One way we could advertise / promote our group is by including something like 'Free software for Windows' on a flyer / Web site since I know
the majority of 'Linux' headline apps (Open Office, Gimp, ...) and plenty of the other stuff 'works' on Windows  (some software could be done for Windows but might not make sense to do so fsck, mkfs-* etc.) even vi and emacs !

With regard to terminal server, would anyone be interested in extending it
with Beowulf tools to do a 'mosix' style cluster rather than just a NOW ?

Anyone got any PP based software ?

Trev  trevor at haven.demon.co.uk