[cumbria_lug] Fedora Core 1 - First Impressions...

Schwuk schwuk at schwuk.com
Thu Nov 13 21:32:33 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 19:12, Michael Saunders wrote:
> Yep, it's been confirmed that there's a bug in redhat-config-packages
> and hopefully an official errata update will be made available ASAP.
> Notably, RH have released some timely fixes for a couple of security
> issues; let's hope this is a positive sign of things to come.

I'm running some of the 'testing' updates - didn't fix my bug...

> Slackware all the way! After so many years of fiddling with various
> distros' idiosyncrasies I'm starting to feel at one with Volkerding's
> design goals and implementation. It has the fewest hassles of all
> modern distros I've tried, although naturally not ideal for newcomers.

Well, I tried a debian install the other day - I was going great guns
until it got to package selection... Very user un-friendly...

I'm getting back into OpenBSD again as well thanks to the cover disk on
Linux User & Developer.

> So the quest for a solid, well-tested and approachable distro ain't
> over. Hard-talking Red Hat CEO Matt J Szulik will be answering
> Slashdot questions tomorrow, and hopefully mine will make it through:

Heh - spent one of my moderator points on you :)

> Ugh, big bloated pointy-clicky mail apps. Evo's searching and sorting
> is orders of magnitude slower than Pine and Mutt. Crivvens! :-)

Yes, but can pine/mutt do message threading?

Also, I'm using Evolution to keep track of my diary & contacts, and
syncing it with my zaurus and phone via the wonderful Multisync (
http://multisync.sourceforge.net/ )
--
Schwuk