[cumbria_lug] Fedora Core 1 - First Impressions...

Michael Saunders mike at aster.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 22:31:53 GMT 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Schwuk wrote:

> Well, I tried a debian install the other day - I was going great
> guns until it got to package selection... Very user un-friendly...

Sounds like the infamous 'dselect' tool. Even die-hard Debian fans
agree that dselect is abysmal -- alternatives such as Synaptic and co.
are much better. Personally, when installing Debian, I just let it
frap the base system on and then apt-get / dpkg -i my way to what's
needed afterwards.

> Heh - spent one of my moderator points on you :)

Cheers! If you've got more, you could mod down the other +5 questions
so that mine definitely gets picked ;-)

> > Ugh, big bloated pointy-clicky mail apps. Evo's searching and
> > sorting is orders of magnitude slower than Pine and Mutt.
> > Crivvens! :-)
>
> Yes, but can pine/mutt do message threading?

Naturally! Both have been around for ages and are incredibly mature
and reliable. Pine handles over 10,000 messages here without any crash
or glitch ever, and at light speed too. Superbly good searching,
filtering and aggregate-command options -- and for those who think
it's a plain old monochrome text app:

http://www.aster.fsnet.co.uk/pine_shot.gif

Note the key list on the bottom -- top interface. Mutt is an equally
well-developed tool, although I prefer Pine as it has a somewhat
cleaner interface and built-in SMTP sending (no need for an MTA).

Michael Saunders
www.aster.fsnet.co.uk