[cumbria_lug] SMTP...

Roger Cope roger.cope at morphaniel.com
Sat Nov 22 16:36:25 GMT 2003

Schwuk seth:

I'm planning on building an SMTP server for my home network, and wondered
which one people thought was best (I know a few of you run SMTP boxes)...

I've heard of:

 - sendmail
 - postfix
 - qmail

Are there any others (worth considering)? Which should I use?

-------------
Hi Schwuk,

I'm a long term qmail user. Love it to bits. I thought our time had come to
an end with RH 9 though, as the ornery SOB who wrote qmail pays no attention
to the vagaries of distribution upgrades and his source code won't compile
on RH9. Happily, by the time I had got to grips with RH9 some well
documented patches had become available from third parties and I got myself
up and running again.

As my friend Dan says (in his grumpy way), qmail _is_ secure. And stable.
End of story. He will even pay you if you prove he's wrong.

The downside is that, in order to meet his exacting standards, qmail comes
with several bits of supporting code that replace standard linux features
and requires lots of tiny little files all over the place. He takes the same
approach with his bind replacement but I looked at that and, to be frank,
just got fed up with it.

Roj