[cumbria_lug] Last Friday's meeting...

Schwuk schwuk at schwuk.com
Mon Nov 24 14:11:40 GMT 2003

Thanks to the guys who turned up:

 - Steve Turner
 - Adam Pigg
 - Mark Andrews (not that he had a choice!)
 - Trevor Pearson
 - me...

An enjoyable evening...

Everyone brought their box(es) along. Adam and I fanned the flames of
the KDE/Gnome argument. Steve installed Mandrake 9.2 on his laptop
(twice). Mark installed Fedora (via http from my box) on his, erm,
'laptop'. Not sure how to describe it really, seeing as it's now sans
monitor & case. Still works though! Steve brought along an old Apple Mac
(SE?) - of course we had to boot it up :). It's now been donated to Mark
as a case for his laptop. Adam demo'd KDE 3.2 (whilst compiling it), his
Kexi(?) Postgres driver and his visualisation for the Amarok media
player. Much head scratching over Trevor's stubborn network card (or was
it SUSE being stubborn?). Knoppix would configure it, but SUSE failed
(using the same module) - it worked when we swapped the card out though.
Mark built a samba PDC in three minutes (cheated by copying his config
from another box!).

Various discussions about possible topics (GPG, MythTV/Freevo) for
future meetings, possible projects for the LUG (the website), and of
course Linux and computers in general.

Cheers,
--
Schwuk