[cumbria_lug] 2.6 Kernel

Michael Saunders mike at aster.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Nov 29 13:55:25 GMT 2003

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Adam Pigg wrote:

> While playing mp3/ogg and compiling 4 parts of kde cvs in 4 konsole
> sessions and using pretty much 100% cpu constantly there is very
> little break up of the audio like there used to be in 2.4.

While playing BZFlag (3D game) with high detail, compiling a kernel
and listening to MP3s via /dev/dsp1 (game is on /dev/dsp), I never
have _any_ stutters or glitches in the audio. And this is under
vanilla 2.4.22 on an 800 MHz box; not exactly state of the art.

Equally, doing other operations to thrash the disk, munch up memory
and and burn the CPU never leads to audio 'skipping'.

Why? IceWM...

Seriously, the only people I've seen who talk about problems with
2.4's latency, scheduling and responsiveness are running the eye-candy
laden bloat-tastic desktops of GNOME and KDE (or are running on
extremely old hardware). There's so much raving about improvements in
2.6, but all this work is a band-aid to counter the inefficient
design and coding of these desktops.

Fix KDE and GNOME. The kernel is fine!

There, enough controversy for a Saturday...

Mike

--
Michael Saunders
www.aster.fsnet.co.uk