[cumbria_lug] It's a miracle!

Schwuk schwuk at schwuk.com
Sat Oct 11 00:49:43 BST 2003

Mat Brunt wrote:
> So what's the best way of getting programs to work then - the first
> project is to get a video player on here, I've heard of one called xine?
> Recommendations on a postcard please.

Right, repeat after me:

wget
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/9/apt/apt-0.5.5cnc6-fr1.i386.rpm

su -c rpm -Uvh apt-0.5.5cnc6-fr1.i386.rpm

su -c 'apt-get install synaptic'

Perform the above from a command prompt (you'll be prompted for the root
password with the 'su -c' commands), then you'll have a nice shiny new
icon in your 'System Settings' menu ( System Settings > More System
Settings > Synaptic ). Fire Synpatic up (you'll be prompted for your
root password again) and hit the 'Update Lists' button, then browse for
software... Try mplayer, xine and totem (in no particular order). Whilst
you are there, you can also pick up mp3 plugins for xmms (they're
missing from Red Hat) and any number of other things...

Cheers,
--
Schwuk