[cumbria_lug] It's a miracle!

Mat Brunt mat at schwuk.com
Sun Oct 12 09:46:39 BST 2003

Observations on this (I probably did something wrong to get the results I
did however).

Synaptic is certainly a neat little utility - Schwuk, you've just
conquered my fear of finding software and getting the stuff to install.

> Right, repeat after me:
>
> wget
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/9/apt/apt-0.5.5cnc6-fr1.i386.rpm

Wget installed the rpm with no problems whatsoever. Very useful, I'll have
to write that one down.

> su -c rpm -Uvh apt-0.5.5cnc6-fr1.i386.rpm

Now for some reason this wouldn't play.
Kept getting "su: invalid option -- U", from trying it different ways and
reading the man page it's almost like su was thinking the -Uvh were for
it, and not rpm.
I even tried sus -c=rpm.....like it suggested in the man page.

Where was I going wrong for that one then?

In the end I just went into root and installed it from there.

> su -c 'apt-get install synaptic'

Didn't even try with the "su -c" this time, just ran apt-get from root.
Wouldn't work initially until I ran "apt-get update" to get a package list.

Cheers for the help schwuk.

Mat